Friday 4 March 2011


All that glitters is not gold

I've been meaning to write about this for weeks now but something else always pops into my mind or demands priority... but as the evening draw out and the days get longer and lighter I know that I shall 'lose' a little bit of joy for another year.

There is a street near Waterloo station that I walk along maybe once or twice a year that has the most fabulous paving stones! They glitter like they've been sprinkled with masses of tiny flakes of gold! Despite knowing its there I'm always - pleasantly - surprised by it.

It will, of course, be entirely due to the slabs being quarried from a stone that has lots of metallic deposits scattered through it; but I don't care. It looks delightful. It looks magical. It looks special. It actually looks like something it isn't!

There are people like that too aren't there... who appear to be something that they aren't...

Sometimes they appear drab and dowdy and you discover they're actually gold dust inside

Sometimes, sadly, its the other way round

So I'll store away my memory of that path for another year and wait to be surprised again in the winter :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment