Wednesday 16 March 2011


I've already mentioned that my son graduated (again) at the end of last week. The invitation also included a dress code... men should wear suits, women a suit or dress. However, there was also the option to wear national dress! I guess that in Scotland it has additional meaning - I'm constantly surprised by the number of men in kilts (proper ones!) that I see when visiting Edinburgh.


Now this came as a bit of a shock to me because I'd already decided in my own mind what would be wearing and it only featured trousers, a plain black top and a brightly coloured jacket... all a little bit too casual. So I adjusted my plans accordingly so as not to embarrass my son!


We arrived at the College and I was taken aback by the variety of garments people were wearing. The graduates came from all over the world so there were brightly coloured saris and those beautiful shifts tops and matching trousers that are worn traditionally in the Philippines. There was a graduate from Myanmar - her clothes were gorgeous. There was also a young woman accompanying her husband from Egypt who had jeans on - but I suspect their journey just to be there was sufficient struggle given the recent push for democracy.


So it was far more colourful and eclectic than I could have ever imagined!


I did plump for national dress in the end - I wore a new dress from Marks & Spencer :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment