Thursday 10 March 2011


I often stay round friends on a Tuesday evening. They have a beautiful garden but it has foxes living in it. Yes, I've seen the mother and cubs in previous years and the little ones are cute but when I looked out on Wednesday morning the lawn was littered with litter!


There were fast food wrappers everywhere!


It sparked a whole conversation about eating habits. Apparently there is no shortage of food in the urban environment and looking at the debris on the lawn you could see why. But the conversation was about what life was like growing up in the 50's and 60's. We came to two conclusions very rapidly.


The first was that we weren't allowed to eat on the street - well we could eat sweets and ice creams but food was eaten at a table indoors. The second was that we were taught to take out rubbish home with us.


However, there were a few times when the rules were relaxed and food was eaten outside. The memories came flooding back! On Norwich market - its quite famous for its colourful awnings - there was and still is a chip stall towards the back, My Granny used to take me, my brother and our cousin to the city when we stayed with her at weekends. It was a huge treat to go to the market and eat a small portion of chips out of greaseproof paper pockets and held in folded newspaper.


If I close my eyes I can still smell them even today... Delicious!


But it was still shocking to see all the papers from the chicken takeaways and burger boxes. I'm not sure what it says about our society...

No comments:

Post a Comment