Sunday 20 February 2011


I have to tell you a small secret...


Birds that sit on top of street lights amuse me...


I have no idea why they do it - I always assume its for a number of reasons - a great vantage point/view and I imagine they are warm. Light must throw out heat, light does throw out heat - I remember learning that at school. So in dark, cold winter days and night where better to sit than on a source of heat... and light!!

You often see birds defending and squabbling over their 'pitch' with others who would come in and try and share - or worse take over. The ensuing 'fight' is always serious but not that dangerous. However, in the end someone is victorious.

So, why is it so amusing - well I guess its because I see myself echoed in that behaviour. I am drawn to warmth and light - its almost instinctive. I love the cosy feeling you get from a warm fire - even when its just a picture of one, it evokes a sense of well-being. Light has the same mesmeric quality for me. So I'm prepared and willing to defend that territory.

I have absolutely no idea if birds 'think' any of those thoughts - but if they do then it makes sense of the squabbles! I also like to compare it to the squabbles I see for territory on public transport. My own line has recently installed wi-fi and the jostling for table-top supremacy with laptops is such fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment