Thursday 7 April 2011


Don't you see some strange things in our streets?



Earlier this week I had to smile, even stifle a laugh, when a young man rode by me on a Boris bike (I'm assuming everyone has heard of out bike hire scheme in London and the nick name they've been given courtesy of our rather flamboyant major...). That in itself is not enough to make you laugh but when he holding the handle bars with one hand and an enormous black umbrella with the other it is rather amusing!


Though potentially dangerous!


Then a utility company are digging up the road outside our office. The hole is deep and yesterday I watched - with more amusement - as three of them stood around peering into it scratching their heads. Immediately I could hear Bernard Cribbins singing...


There I was, a-digging this hole A hole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was

There was I, digging it deep It was flat at at the bottom and the sides were steep

When along, comes this bloke in a bowler which he lifted and scratched his head

Well we looked down the hole, poor demented soul and he said

Do you mind if I make a suggestion?

Don't dig there, dig it elsewhere Your digging it round and it ought to be square

The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long And you can't put hole where a hole don't belong


If that wasn't enough this morning as I came into work some (possibly) other workmen were playing loud pop music and one of them was video-ing the other on his phone - I expect it'll be on youtube before long!


Don't you just love the things that go on all around us every day???! Wonderful, wacky things. Equally serious solemn things. But life plays out before our eyes in all its brilliant rich variety.


I'm really glad that I can enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment