Thursday 21 April 2011



Maundy Thursday...



I went to work this morning and found Westminster buzzing with people. They were snaking their way around the streets as they queued to get into the Abbey. It was a special Maundy Thursday though, because it was also the Queen's birthday. 84 men and 84 women received the specially minted coins... and the mother of a friend of mine was one of them!



I think there are some amazing traditions in the UK and this is one of them. I love the little posies that they receive - even Prince Philip gets one! I was told that's a throw back to when the ordinary folk didn't smell that sweet... who knows!



I love preparing for Easter as much as I love preparing for Christmas. Dressing the house and making it look festive and distinctive. Ever since we went to Switzerland at Easter in 1987 I've been making dyed eggs, using leaves from the garden to decorate them.



This year I've added a new feature - little eggs hanging from the bay tree at the front door...



Maundy Thursday is poignant... a gift that we still recreate... the last supper

No comments:

Post a Comment