Monday 17 January 2011

As the radio alarm came on this morning, the presenter was talking about how the third Monday in January is THE most depressing day of the year...

I could see his point when I looked outside! It was misty and pouring with rain. There was no distinction between land and sky - everything was grey, dull and - yes - depressing...


As the morning has worn on I've started to wonder how much my mood had been influenced by those first words I heard. Would I have noticed it as much if it hadn't been drawn to my attention?


The phone went and it was someone for my husband, I gave him his work number and then he said "what have you done to make it rain?"! I was puzzled but amused - he has the most fabulous Norfolk accent so that makes a conversation with him a delight anyway. But I "owned up to it"! I said that I'd planned to do some gardening today so it was indeed all my fault!


How depressing...


We are easily influenced at times aren't we...


Fortunately, the radio station has just regained my confidence by interviewing a psychotherapist who said in dark times we should remember something that is good. He used two examples - the feeling when we saw our children for the first time or when we first got a sat nav.


Not so sure about the second one... neither was the presenter!


I did dash out into the garden to fill the bird feeders and noticed lots of spring bulbs breaking through the soil and shoots on two shrubs. Now that did lift my mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment