Sunday 23 January 2011


Music... It's fabulous isn't it!


I love music for all sorts of reasons. It is a universal language that transcends all barriers because the rhythm and tune convey so much more. Musical pieces evoke the sea and the wind, the storm and the calm, joy and pain, laughter and tears.


Music also marks moments in our lives. A particular piece of music can bring all sorts of memories flooding back. The first dance with your partner. The hymns that were sung at a baptism, wedding or funeral.


Music shows are always so entertaining. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen The Sound of Music - it always reminds me of my maternal grandmother who adored it so much she fell in love with Austria and Salzburg. I've also become mildy addicted to Mama Mia not least because Abba's music is so... so... 70's!


I was reminded that the Bible is full of songs the other night in the pub. We were talking about choral settings for pieces of worship and someone mentioned a piece that I'd learnt and sung as a child. It was a setting for the Magnificat - the song that the Virgin Mary sang when just after she was told she would bear the Christ child.

The person who referred to that particular piece of music said that he'd always imagined that was the sort of tune Mary would have sung.

I'd never thought of it like that...

Then I hummed the tune and knew immediately what he meant. the notes soar away and you can hear the awe and wonder, mixed with the confusion and humility...

Music... It's fabulous isn't it!

No comments:

Post a Comment