Tuesday 4 January 2011


Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

The compulsion to make New Year resolutions is fascinating. I decided to give myself a better chance of success and not start until today – when in my mind everything returns to normal… whatever “normal” is!

The decorations have been put away for another year. The last guest left with me for the train to London this morning. It’s back to work – so that provides an obvious chance to embed a new routine. Doesn't it...?!

But surely each new day provides that opportunity, not just the first day of the year...

Each day stretches out like a vast clean beach as the tide recedes or a fresh field of snow; ready for us to imprint our footsteps. Or the edge of a cliff to step off and glide effortlessly through the air. Or a deep, still pool to dive into causing ripples to lap against the shore. We choose what to do. Which path to tread.

Why should my resolve be greater today?

Why should I succeed this time?

I don’t know the answers to those questions but I shall try and resist the temptation to turn this into a version of Bridget Jones’ diary!

But temptation is what it’s all about and I’ve more often than not found that I can identify all too well with Oscar Wilde who wrote “I can resist anything except temptation”….

1 comment:

  1. I read this quote on Twitter yesterday:
    "What would you do today if you actually believed that little choices made the difference in making your life better?"

    ReplyDelete