Saturday 29 January 2011


So, the first month of the year is nearly over... Time really does seem to fly - or maybe its just me...?


I know I'm my own worst enemy. I try to fit too much into my life. I'm sure that's made worse by living in two different places and attempting to do things with friends in each place. I just get carried away! I also offer to help or more often than not I have an idea so feel bound to see it through. It certainly leads to a busy life and not much 'me' time.


I belong to a fabulous health club just outside Norwich. It's set in farmland and the pool and gym areas have windows that provide wonderful vistas. When I first went there - many, many moons ago - my trainer gave me some really wise advice. He suggested that there would be days when the best thing I could do to keep myself fit would be to relax... Indulge myself by using the swimming and sauna, steam and jacuzzi facilities.


An hour on my 'own' - albeit surrounded by folk - you can be alone in a crowd, really energises me. It's almost like a mini silent retreat.


I haven't been going regularly since we moved 18 months ago, not least because of all the things that needed to be done in the new house and garden. But I know my body misses the chance to just chill out!


It makes me slow down. It makes me get off the metaphorical treadmill and attack the real one. Bizarrely it makes the days less manic and time fly by slightly slower...


It's incredibly easy to fill our days with busy-ness and forget that for ever six units of that we should set aside one for rest... just to "be"

No comments:

Post a Comment